Fly Fishing Traditions



Fly Fishing Traditions Blog and Website
"It's about Life & Fly Fishing"

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Finally Back on the Yuba

This summer has been quite a whirlwind. Laura, Zack and I toured Italy for a little over 3 weeks, seeing parts of Sicily, the Umbria region and of course Rome. We ate our way through the countryside. We got home and about a week later headed to just north of Coeur d' Alene, Idaho and stayed two weeks at Hayden Lake. The fishing was slow because of warm temperatures but I we managed to catch, smallmouth bass, pike, crappie, triploid rainbows and perch. A little of everything. I also fished the Coeur' d' Alene River a couple of times for cutthroats. That was a kick. Lot's of smaller fish and once in a while a bigger one.


There were a bunch of Cutts in this size class

I also drove up into the headwaters of the Coeur d' Alene River one day and drove along a US Forestry Road just stopping and fishing as I went along. There were cooperative fish pretty much wherever I stopped. I mainly used an EC Caddis or a smaller Fat Albert. They weren't to picky.

Headwaters of the Coeur d' Alene River

On the way home I stopped at The Red Barn Fly Shop on the Stillwater River and met "Poppy". This flyshop is a mecca for Spey fishers. It looks like a remodeled chicken coop but it it stuffed with gear. "Poppy" made me feel right at home.


The Red Shed


Poppy


Ton's of Spey Fly Tying Materials


Every kind of Spey Rods and Spey Lines


Lots of Spey Flies

So I finally made it back out on the Yuba with Mike Williams, we battled the Delta Wind with pretty severe gusts but we managed a few fish. As usual for me it's about getting out and enjoying the river and the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any Questions or Comments? Let me know, Clay.