Fly Fishing Traditions



Fly Fishing Traditions Blog and Website
"It's about Life & Fly Fishing"

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Looking for an 8 Weight Rod

Here's a funny Story. I've been wanting to figure out how to go about striper fishing. Where to go, when to go, what gear I'd need, how to rigg. I've got a 16 foot Boston Whaler that seems like it would be a good delta boat, I've fixed it up and should get out and give it a go. I don't have a striper rod. My largest rod is a 7 weight. Keith Scott sent me a picture of a 40" plus striper he landed west of the Sierra Buttes. It's time that I get geared up and ready to go. Time to stop thinking about it and just do it.



My buddy, Blake Larsen, made it out with Keith the another evening and I talked with him and he got me all jacked up. We talked about the rod he uses which is an Sage RPL 8 weight. He thought that an 8 weight was a good rod but might be undergunned for a stripper the size of the one that Keith landed though. I though about it and came to the conclusion that an eight weight is the way I want to start off with.

I started looking around on Craig's List for a Sage 8 weight and there it was a Sage RPL 8 weight rod for sale from someone in Truckee, just like Blake's. I thought this is great. If it's still for sale I could get Blake, who lives in Truckee, check it out for me. So, I sent an inquiry to see if it was still for sale and available.

I got an email back yesterday, and it said that the rod would be available once he got his replacement rod which he had purchased from a friend.

Here's the funny part. The rod for sale was Blake's RPL. Go figure!

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap that is a HUGE striper! I would love to tie into that! Funny about the fly rod too.

    The Average Joe Fisherman
    http://averagejoefisherman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Have any Questions or Comments? Let me know, Clay.